With a dressing that is verging on addictive as well as versatile, this mouth-watering vegan glory bowl is a must have in your menu rotation. By adding some yellow mustard to the dressing you get a little more Asian flavour. The mustard also helps to emulsify the dressing!
To switch up this recipe, make the dressing without mustard, and replace tofu with thinly sliced, bite sized pieces of stir fried chicken or shrimp or enjoy the bowl with your favourite peanut sauce. Leftover dressing is great to have in the fridge for use as a dip for vegetables or wraps, dressing on a tossed salad, whole grain or stir fried poultry. You can also switch up the veggies depending on what you have available in your fridge!
Zesty Vegan Glory Bowl
For the bowl
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups beets, grated (1 beet ~ 3 inches in diameter)
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 2 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 cups spinach leaves, sliced if desired or left whole
- 2 cups firm tofu, cubed (~350 grams)
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup lower sodium tamari
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (if using a Vitamix peel and leave whole)
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil (minus 1 or 2 tbsp. for sautéing tofu)
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- Squirt of yellow mustard (~2 or 3 teaspoons)
- Cook brown rice as instructed on package. As the rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Grate beets and carrots, set aside with spinach.
- Toast slivered almonds in a dry, heavy skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until they’re golden brown and they give off a rich, toasty aroma. Stir or toss frequently for even toasting. Remove from pan to cool.
- Drain tofu and then press in a clean dishcloth for at least 15 minutes to remove extra water. Cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes and add to a non-stick skillet or wok with 1-2 tbsp. oil. Cook over medium high heat for about 2 ½ minutes each side or until browned on all sides. Set aside.
- Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Thickness should be comparable to a creamy dressing.
- Serve in a bowl. Top rice with spinach, grated beets, carrots, tofu, slivered almonds and drizzle with dressing.
*Nutrition breakdown based on 1/8 of salad + 2 Tbsp. dressing.
**On a calorie restricted meal plan? Enjoy only ½ cup cooked rice and use half as many almonds and calories sit at 394.
|Calories (kcal)||532||Protein (g)||16.5|
|Carbohydrates (g)||52.0||Fat (g)||31.0|
|Sugar (g)||5.0||Saturated Fat||2.9|
|Fibre (g)||8.2||Sodium (mg)||219|