I am a huge fan of bean salads. They hit all my criteria for a great recipe, as they are tasty, satisfying, balanced, pair easily with proteins and SO quick to prepare!
This recipe for lemony white bean and arugula salad is simple so anyone can make it. It’s a great option as a main dish, or as a side. Here are some of my favorite tips and tricks to optimize this recipe for your dinner!
- Pair with a protein, such as with grilled prawns, fish or tofu.
- Add in corn on the cob or grilled veggies to round it out.
- Add extra greens and 1-2 hard boiled eggs for a beautiful pairing and to make a complete main (the eggs add a bit more protein)!
A couple of special notes for this recipe to make it work for you:
- If you don’t have arugula on hand, any salad green will work.
- I suggest only adding the amount of dressing you are going to eat at that meal. If you dress the whole salad and then have leftovers, the arugula will get soggy over-night and not be palatable to eat the next day)!
Lemony White Bean & Arugula Salad
Recipe adapted from Giada de Laurentis at FoodNetwork.com
For the salad:
- 5 packed cups (5 ounces) arugula
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (use less if you prefer less sweet dressings)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (the capers provide a salty flavour so you don’t need much salt at all)
- In a large salad bowl, combine the arugula, beans, red onion, and capers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, maple syrup and lemon zest. Slowly whisk in the oil until smooth and combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to coat. Serve.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving, based on 4 servings)
|Calories (kcal)||229||Protein (g)||6.0|
|Carbohydrates (g)||23.0||Fat (g)||14.0|
|Sugar (g)||5.0||Saturated Fat||2.0|
|Fibre (g)||5.0||Sodium (mg)||486|
|Iron (mg)||1.4||Calcium (mg)||66|