According to a recent study, more than half of Americans tried a diet last year to improve their overall heart health. Yet only 5% adopted the Mediterranean Diet – one of the only diets proven through extensive research to improve cardiovascular risk factors.
Here are 5 easy ways you can start a Mediterranean Diet today to help improve your heart health:
- Replace butter with olive oil as often as possible.
- Swap out meat for plant-based proteins such as beans, lentils, nuts and seeds, more often than you are doing now. (assuming you are eating at least a moderate amount of meat)
- Bring a sandwich bag full of veggies to munch on throughout the day – this will help you meet your daily minimum of 4 servings of vegetables.
- Find delicious ways to enjoy fish at least twice a week. For example, fish tacos, canned fish in a whole grain pasta salad, fish kebabs, fish burgers, fish pie, healthy fish sticks, fish curry – these are all different options for enjoying fish throughout your week.
- Try some traditional Mediterranean whole grains like bulgur, barley, farro, brown, black or red rice.
For more information, recipes, and tips on how you can transition to a Mediterranean Diet, contact your Copeman Healthcare Registered Dietitian.
Are you interested in learning more dietitian-approved tips before you see them? Check out Copeman’s definitive guide to