This week’s recipe is a healthier take on a traditional accompaniment to most pancake breakfasts. It includes simple, but healthy ingredients such as sweet potatoes and Granny Smith apples. It also makes a great leftover dish the next day for breakfast or as a snack topped with fat free Greek Yogurt or as a side with any meal! Not only that, it is half the calories of a traditional hash recipe! Check out the nutrition breakdown for more information.
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 3 medium (~2cups) Sweet potatoes, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cut into thin matchsticks
- ½ cup onions, thinly sliced
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp of oil over medium-high heat. Add apple and onion and cook until soft (about 4 minutes). Set aside in a covered bowl.
2. Add 1 tsp of oil to skillet. Spread potatoes in pan in an even layer and press them down lightly with a spatula. Cook until golden brown on the bottom (about 5 minutes). Drizzle with remaining oil and flip potatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add apple and onion mixture to potatoes and heat through. Sprinkle with cinnamon and add salt and pepper to taste.