Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, a good source of potassium, and also contain folic acid, magnesium. They are a great source of fibre too.
To pay tribute to this delicious fruit here is a light dessert that will be a wonderful accompaniment to any meal.
BROILED STRAWBERRIES WITH COOL VANILLA YOGURT
YIELDS: 4 SERVINGS
- 4 cups whole strawberries, hulled
- ¼ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups vanilla flavoured yogurt (2% M.F. or less)
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts**
- Preheat broiler, with rack set 4 inches (10cm) from the heat
- Use an 8- or 9-inch (20 or 23 cm) square glass baking dish
- Place strawberries in a single layer, tip side up, in baking dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Broil for 5 to 6 minutes or until berries start to release their juices and sugar starts to caramelize.
- Divide berries and juices among six dessert dishes. Top with yogurt and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat
- Add a single layer of nuts and cook, stirring, for 1 minute
- Flip nuts or seeds over and cook, stirring and flipping as needed, for 1 to 2 minutes – until nuts are a light golden colour – adjusting heat if necessary so the nuts do not burn
- Remove from heat and transfer to a plate or sheet of parchment paper. Let cool.
*Recipe source: Dietitians of Canada: Cook! By Mary Sue Waisman, MSc RD
For dietitian-approved tips and recipes sign up to our monthly Smart Dish newsletter