Sweet potatoes are a wonderful starch to add to your repertoire. They can be mashed, boiled, steamed, and incorporated into a number of different dishes, plus they’re a great source of fibre. Additionally, they contain several vitamins and minerals, including iron, calcium, vitamin B and vitamin C.
This recipe highlights the sweet potato and also contains a secret ingredient: chickpeas! The chickpeas in this spiced sweet potato soup add an extra boost of protein and fibre, and make for a cozy winter meal.
Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 4 cups sweet potato, peeled + diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled + sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 300g chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- ½ small lemon, juiced (optional)
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, sauté onion and garlic.
- Add spices, sweet potato, and carrot.
- Add stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and simmer for 10 minutes, covered.
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer to a heat-safe blender) to puree the soup, then stir in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then serve.
|Calories (kcal)||220||Protein (g)||7|
|Carbohydrates (g)||36||Fat (g)||6|
|Sugar (g)||9||Saturated Fat||0.8|
|Fibre (g)||7||Sodium (mg)||331|