Looking to switch up your morning egg routine? Try this southwestern, vegan spin on your typical breakfast scramble by substituting eggs for firm tofu!
This scramble is loaded with tons of vegetables, and the tofu acts as a great source of calcium and protein. To complete this delicious breakfast, pair with smashed potatoes or a slice of your favourite whole grain bread and a glass of milk. The perfect way to fuel your busy weekend or weekday.
Tip: make sure when buying tofu you buy the firm tofu and not the soft tofu. This will improve the consistency of your scramble!
Southwest Tofu Scramble
Adapted from Minimalist Baker
Makes 2 servings
For the scramble
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups kale, loosely chopped
For the sauce
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- Water, as needed
For serving (optional)
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce
- Breakfast potatoes, toast, and/or fruit
- Pat your tofu dry and roll in a clean, absorbent towel with something heavy on top (such as a cast iron skillet) for 15 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
- While the tofu is draining, prepare the sauce by adding dry spices to a small bowl and adding enough water to reach a pourable consistency. Set aside.
- Prep veggies and warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, onion and red pepper. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Cook until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add kale, season with a bit more salt and pepper. Cover to steam for 2 minutes.
- While the kale steams, unwrap tofu and use a fork to crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- Use a spatula to move the veggies to one side of the pan and add tofu. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add sauce, pouring it mostly over the tofu and a little over the veggies. Stir immediately, evenly distributing the sauce. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately with the breakfast potatoes, toast or fruit. Top with fresh cilantro.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving, excluding toppings and sides)
|Calories (kcal)||176.9||Protein (g)||10.9|
|Carbohydrates (g)||9.6||Fat (g)||11.9|
|Sugar (g)||4.1||Saturated Fat||1.9|
|Fibre (g)||3.0||Sodium (mg)||21.0|
|Iron (mg)||2.7||Calcium (mg)||268.0|