Fitting enough fish into your family’s diet can be challenging.
This recipe uses canned fish for ease, can hide loads of veggies from fussy eaters, and is fun for kids. Plus, canned bone-in salmon and sardines are great sources of both omega-3 fatty acids and calcium!
Start cooking your rice before you begin, toss together a quick salad while your salmon patties are cooking, and everything will be ready at the same time. Using a food processor for your veggies will make it even quicker (and who doesn’t love a quick, easy and healthy family meal?).
Makes 4-6 servings
SIMPLE SALMON PATTIES
- 2-213g cans bone-in salmon or sardines
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 green onions, sliced thin then chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely diced then squeezed tightly in paper towel to remove excess liquid
- Optional: 1 zucchini grated and squeezed as above; ½ cup thawed frozen spinach, well squeezed and finely chopped
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- Optional: zest of 1 lemon
- Cooking oil
- Drain fish well. Transfer to medium-large mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add all veggies and saute gently for 2-3 minutes, just to soften slightly. Transfer to the bowl with the fish.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
- Add 2 tsp oil to pan and heat over medium.
- Scoop mixture out by heaping tablespoon and flatten into patties about ½-¾” thick. Once all ready, place into pan and brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with homemade tzatziki (Homemade Tzatziki Recipe: 2 Tbsp grated cucumber, squeezed; ¾ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt; 1 tsp dried dill; 1-2 cloves crushed garlic; salt and pepper to taste).