Polpette di Melanzane is a classic Italian recipe which translates in English to “Eggplant Patties”. This dish is a delicious medley of eggplant, cheese, and breadcrumbs, however when made the traditional way it can be a bit on the unhealthy side (as they are typically deep fried).
Fortunately, making them healthier is a lot more simple than you think. My secret to be able to enjoy them more often is actually to bake them instead of frying (though my family would be furious)! With this simple trick, these patties actually end up being a very tasty and nutritious meal filled with fibre, protein and carbohydrates.
Polpette di Melanzane
Makes ~14 servings
For the patties:
- 3 large eggplants
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup parmigiano cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup parsley (fine chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 bottle of crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- Dried basil, oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Prepare the eggplant in the morning or night before by peeling and cutting them into one inch slices, then steaming them for 10 minutes. Once cooked, squish and drain the excess water from the eggplants and then place them into a colander lined with paper towel (this will pull most of the water out of the eggplant, which will help when forming the patties). Place the cooked eggplant in the fridge. If you are unable to do this step in advance, do your best to ensure that after you steam the eggplant you drain as much water out of them as possible.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Start the sauce by pouring the olive oil into a sauce pot and heating on low-medium heat. Place the onions and the garlic into the pot and sauté on very low heat until translucent (~8 minutes). Pour in the crushed tomatoes and cook on medium heat for ~20-30 minutes. Add salt, dried/fresh basil and oregano to taste.
- While the sauce is cooking, place the eggplants into a mixing bowl with Parmesan, whisked eggs, breadcrumbs, salt and parsley. Mix well.
- Form the patties from the mixture and place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cook the patties in the oven for ~30 min. To brown the top of the patties, set the oven to broil for the last 5 minutes.
- Serve each patty with the homemade sauce on top. Enjoy!
NUTRITION INFORMATION (per patty)
|Calories (kcal)||198||Protein (g)||10|
|Carbohydrates (g)||24||Fat (g)||7|
|Sugar (g)||8||Saturated Fat||2|
|Fibre (g)||6||Sodium (mg)||377|
|Iron (mg)||2||Calcium (mg)||191|