This recipe for a nutty pea and quinoa bowl takes the traditional quinoa salad and gives it an easy, unique twist! In addition to being vegan, and gluten free, quinoa is high in complete protein, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and fibre. It can also be eaten hot, cold, on its own or paired with other dishes. Believe it or not, quinoa’s closest relatives are spinach, kale and swiss chard – not surprising given all four foods are nutritional powerhouses!
Nutty Pea and Quinoa Bowl
Adapted from Deliciously Ella
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- ¾ cup of almonds, whole
- 8 teaspoons of olive oil (or sesame oil, if you have it)
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- a large pinch of chili flakes to taste
- 2 cup of kale, de-stemmed
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tamari
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cooking the quinoa according to package instructions. As a tip, you generally want a ratio of about 2:1 (water to quinoa) and it will typically take about 12-15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, toast the almonds in a large frying pan with 1 tablespoon of tamari. Let them heat until they start to brown and slightly catch. Remove the almonds from heat (leave the pan on the stove).
- In the same pan (but without the almonds) heat 4 teaspoons of olive oil, crushed garlic and chili flakes. Once it’s bubbling, add the chopped kale and zucchini. Sauté everything until cooked, which should take about 5-10 minutes, then take off the heat.
- Place the peas in a pan with cold water, bring them to the boil and then drain them. Add half the peas to a food processor with 4 teaspoons of olive oil, juice of 1 lime, salt and pepper to taste. Blend to a puree. Note: If you want to save a pan, do the pea puree first and use this same pan for the quinoa!
- Add the other half of the peas, the zucchini, kale, 1 tablespoon of tamari and a little olive oil into the quinoa and stir, season to taste
- Serve the quinoa with the pea puree on the side or mix it in to make it extra creamy! Finally, sprinkle the almond over the top of your bowl!
NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
|Calories (kcal)||301||Protein (g)||11.0|
|Carbohydrates (g)||30.0||Fat (g)||16.0|
|Sugar (g)||0.5||Saturated Fat||1.7|
|Fibre (g)||6.6||Sodium (mg)||300|
|Iron (mg)||2.9||Calcium (mg)||86|