This roasted cauliflower makes a great side or appy. Inspired by one of my favourite Vancouver-based Middle Eastern restaurants, Nuba, it’s a healthier twist on their cauliflower bites which are dangerously delicious!
Even if you’re not a huge fan of cauliflower, try this one – it might change your mind like it changed mine! It’s easy to toss together, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say they don’t like it. Usually the response is surprise followed by ‘is there more?’
When it comes to nutrition, you can’t beat serving a veggie as a pre-dinner snack, especially when it’s good enough that people will gobble it up! Being a veggie, cauliflower is naturally packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Did you know it’s actually an excellent source of Vitamin C!? Don’t let the white colour fool you – white fruits and veggies are still nutritiously dense!
Nuba-Inspired Roasted Cauliflower
Makes ~4 servings
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 tsp ground cumin (more if desired)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 fresh lemon
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan OR nutritional yeast
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Wash your cauliflower head and cut the cauliflower into bite sized pieces – check out this video for a quick ‘how-to’
- Gently pat the cauliflower florets dry with a paper towel, and place them into a large bowl
- Add the olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper and toss gently until cauliflower is evenly coated
- Spread the cauliflower florets evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put in the oven to roast. Time will vary depending on your oven, but check the cauliflower after 10-12 minutes and give it a quick stir with a flipper. Put it back into the oven and roast for an additional 10 minutes or so, until the cauliflower starts to brown lightly. *Make sure you check on it until you know how long it will take in your oven!
- Once the cauliflower starts to get lightly golden-brown in some places, remove it from the oven. Place it into a serving dish, squeeze the juice from the lemon over the cauliflower and sprinkle with parmesan or nutritional yeast.
- Serve right away as an appetizer or side dish. Careful – it’s hot!
NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
*Nutrition breakdown based on 1.5 tbsp olive oil + ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, parmesan cheese
|Calories (kcal)||117||Protein (g)||5|
|Carbohydrates (g)||12||Fat (g)||7|
|Sugar (g)||4||Saturated Fat||1|
|Fibre (g)||4||Sodium (mg)||416|
|Iron (mg)||1.6||Calcium (mg)||84|