It is the time of year where having a few easy to prepare and festive party food options is always a good idea. These savory mushroom & onion cheese tarts are just that and will have your guests begging for the recipe! Be adventurous by trying out different herb combinations with basil, cilantro or parsley. Also, explore using lower fat cheeses to cut back on unwanted holiday calories.
Savoury Mushroom & Onion Cheese Tarts
Adapted from New Vegetarian
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1.5 cups finely chopped or sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Leaves from 2-3 sprigs of thyme (experiment with basil, cilantro and parsley too!)
- 12 slices medium sliced whole wheat bread
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, for spreading
- 1 cup Gruyere
- 1.5 cups mature cheddar cheese
- Salt & ground pepper to taste
- A 2 inch glass or plain cookie cutter
- 2 non-stick, 12 cup muffin tins
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet, add the onions, and saute until softened and lightly golden. Sprinkle sugar on top and season with salt and pepper. Add mushrooms and thyme and cook over a high heat until the mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Using the top of the glass or cookie cutter, stamp out circles from the bread (the glass flattens the bread at the edges, which will make the tarts crispier). Lightly spread butter on one side of each circle, then use to line the pan, butter side down, and press firmly into place.
- Put teaspoons of the mushroom mixture in the bread cups and top with grated cheese. Bake in a preheated oven at 425F for about 10-15 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve hot. Alternatively, let cool, then warm through before serving.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
|Calories (kcal)||139||Protein (g)||6.8|
|Carbohydrates (g)||9.0||Fat (g)||8.5|
|Sugar (g)||1.6||Saturated Fat||4.2|
|Fibre (g)||1.2||Sodium (mg)||193|