Use any one of the 6 recommended ancient grains for a healthy Mexican grain salad. It’s only about 294 calories per serving!
- 1 cup cooked of any, or a combination of the following grains: quinoa, farro, spelt, barley, bulgur, amaranth, millet or buckwheat
- ½ tsp each of ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup black beans
- ¾ cup diced mangoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper; seeded and diced
1. To cook grains, use 2:1 ratio of water to grain. Once boiling, reduce to simmer until all liquids are absorbed (15-20 minutes).
2. Whisk dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Toss vegetables, grains, and optional ingredients as desired, in a large bowl.
4. Drizzle with dressing and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Adding the protein option makes the dish a complete meal!
- For even more veggies, serve on top of mixed greens.