For this Mediterranean dish, use any one of the 6 recommended ancient grains. One serving of this salad will keep you under 350 calories.
- 1 cup cooked of any, or a combination of the following grains: quinoa, farro, spelt, barley, bulgur, amaranth, millet or buckwheat
- 1 eggplant
- 3/4lb zucchini cut in 1/2″ cubes
- 1 red pepper chopped, 4 garlic cloves diced.
- Toss vegetables above with 4 tsp of olive oil and bake on baking sheets at 425 C for 25 minutes, stir half-way through
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chickpeas or other legumes
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 orange, chopped
- A few sprigs of fresh mint chopped
1. To cook grains, use 2:1 ratio of water to grain. Once boiling, reduce to simmer until all liquids are absorbed (15-20 minutes).
2. Whisk dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Toss vegetables, grains, and optional ingredients as desired, in a large bowl.
4. Drizzle with dressing and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Adding the protein option makes the dish a complete meal!
- For even more veggies, serve with mixed greens.