Pasta can get a bad reputation, but with the right pairing it can be a quick, healthy and easy dinner – and these meatless stuffed shells are the perfect example of pasta done right!
This delicious recipe is high in protein, vegetables, and dairy, plus provides the nutrients needed to support muscles, a healthy digestive system, and strong bones. Pair it with a salad of your choice to make it a complete and balanced meal.
Meatless Stuffed Shells
Adapted from Kraft Canada
Makes 5 servings
- 1 package (300g) of fresh spinach
- 1 container (500g) of low fat cottage cheese
- 0.5 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, partially skim
- 1 egg, raw
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp of dried oregano leaves
- 20 cooked and cooled jumbo pasta shells, whole wheat
- 0.5 cup of tomato pasta sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine spinach, cottage cheese, ¼ cup of mozzarella, egg , pepper and oregano in a large mixing bowl.
- Spoon approximately 1 heaping tablespoon of the mixture into each shell.
- Spread ¼ cup of tomato pasta sauce onto the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place the stuffed shells (filled sides up) in the baking dish, top with ¼ cup of pasta sauce, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes (or until heated through).
NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
|Calories (kcal)||228||Protein (g)||26.6|
|Carbohydrates (g)||22.6||Fat (g)||3.9|
|Sugar (g)||5.2||Saturated Fat||1.9|
|Fibre (g)||3.9||Sodium (mg)||451.3|
|Iron (mg)||3.0||Calcium (mg)||203.8|