Jicama or its other name, Yambean, is a Mexican root vegetable with a waxy outer peel. When spiced, as it has been in this recipe, it tastes like an apple but less sweet. It has a waxy outer peel that should be removed allowing it to be eaten raw unlike other root vegetables.
Jicama can be a great addition to your salad for that extra bit of crunch. It is rich in fiber with 1 cup (120g) of sliced jicama carrying fiber (6 g/cup), vitamin C, potassium with only 46 kcal. Find it in the vegetable section in your grocery store.
Jicama has been used in a salad for this week’s recipe. This salad is perfect for the much anticipated spring and summer weather. The mint and citrus flavours allow for a refreshing taste. The salad offers a rich source of fiber, healthy fats, vitamin A, folate, vitamin C and potassium. Try something new today!
- 600 g or 5 cups jicama, peeled and cut into the shape of your preference of small cubes or julienned
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 10 cups mixed field greens
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup blueberries
- 5 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice (add lime zest, if desired)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small avocado (optional)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- Additional ground pepper to sprinkle on salad (optional)
1. Mix first 5 ingredients together in a serving bowl and toss well. Refrigerator for at least 1 hour. The flavors become stronger the more you let the jicama sit with the spices.
2. Add the mixed field greens, arugula and blueberries into a large bowl with the jicama.
3. Mix the mint, lime juice, lime zest and olive oil together for a salad dressing. Add the chia seed, if you are using it. It adds the texture of poppy seeds to your salad dressing.
4. Add the salad dressing to the rest of the salad. Toss and coat evenly. Add avocado, if desired.
5. Serve chilled.
(with avocado and chia seed added in)
|Calories (kcal)||201||Vitamin A (μg)||431|
|Fat (g)||12.8||Vitamin C (mg)||47|
|Protein (g)||4||Calcium (mg)||111|
|Carbohydrate (g)||21.4||Iron (mg)||2.3|
|Sugar (g)||9.2||Sodium (mg)||145|
|Fibre (g)||10.5||Potassium (mg)||715|
(without avocado and chia seed added in)
|Calories (kcal)||139||Vitamin C (mg)||43|
|Fat (g)||8||Vitamin A (μg)||429|
|Protein (g)||3||Calcium (mg)||96|
|Carbohydrate (g)||18||Iron (mg)||2.1|
|Sugar (g)||9||Sodium (mg)||143|
|Fibre (g)||7.6||Potassium (mg)||550|