There are lots of fantastic gadgets for your kitchen that can help make mealtimes healthy and quick. The Instant Pot has recently become a popular tool to make kitchen life easier and healthier at the same time. This recipe for Instant Pot Moroccan Chickpea Stew is full of protein and fiber. Plus, it incorporates a fall favourite – pumpkin!
Instant Pot Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Adapted from Simple Veganista
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, diced
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes 28 oz, un-drained
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger root
- 3 cups fresh pumpkin, peeled & diced
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 1.5 tsp dried ground coriander
- 2 cans chickpeas (19 oz each) drained
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (or paprika)
- 3 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 8 cups baby spinach or kale, stems removed
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 8 ounces Greek yogurt, plain
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ½ cup pumpkin seed kernels
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Prepare, chop, measure all ingredients out in advance of starting cooking.
- Turn Instant Pot cooker on and choose the saute option.
- Add the avocado oil and chopped onion to the cooker. Stir often, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and ginger, ground cumin, coriander and cinnamon. Add smoked paprika or substitute with regular paprika. Add dash of salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add apricots, carrots, celery, tomatoes and juice, diced pumpkin and potato, chickpeas, and vegetable broth. Stir to carefully combine ingredients in cooker.
- Cancel the saute function.
- Add the lid, turn to lock the pot carefully, and ensure you are following the manufacturer’s directions to seal your unit safely. Either cook at the manual setting at high for 20 minutes or at a bean and chili function setting.
- Once the cooking is complete, allow the pressure and steam to fully release on the Instant Pot cooker, carefully following the directions for your device.
- Once the steam has released, carefully remove the lid and give the stew a quick stir. Add the spinach or kale and stir to wilt and combine the leaves.
- Serve warm with a suggested option of a heaping dollop of pumpkin seeds, Greek yogurt or sour cream and fresh cilantro.
Per serving, with pumpkin seeds + yogurt
|Calories (kcal)||341||Protein (g)||18|
|Carbohydrates (g)||47||Fat (g)||11|
|Sugar (g)||14||Saturated Fat||2|
|Fibre (g)||14||Sodium (mg)||499|