An excellent alternative to pasta, this spaghetti squash bowl will satisfy your cravings for Greek flavors, tantalize your taste buds, and extend your creative skills in the kitchen all the while fulfilling your nutritional needs for a healthy meal. This dish is fantastic on its own or try adding some chickpeas, black beans, cooked chicken or pork to create other tasty versions.
Greek Spaghetti Squash Bowl
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- ½ cup 1% cottage cheese
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped black olives (pits removed)
- ½ cup diced red onions
- 5 cups thinly sliced bell peppers
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- ¼ tsp dried oregano leaves (or 1 tsp fresh diced oregano)
- 2 cups raw baby spinach leaves
- ¾ cup diced fresh tomatoes
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carefully cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds with a spoon. Drizzle and spread a teaspoon of olive oil on each half and a sprinkle of sea salt if desired.
- Place squash halves cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until tender. Remove pan from oven and cool until squash is easy to handle.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook diced onion. Add minced garlic and sliced peppers, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes and oregano, then cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Add spinach and stir well until spinach is wilted. Remove pan from heat.
- Use a fork to shred squash into spaghetti like strands lengthwise using a back and forth motion. Add shredded squash into skillet and combine with vegetables. Mix in cottage cheese, nutritional yeast and sliced olives.
- For serving, spoon squash mixture back into each squash half or individual serving bowls and top with chopped basil and feta. Enjoy warm!
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
|Calories (kcal)||334||Protein (g)||22.0|
|Carbohydrates (g)||38.0||Fat (g)||14.0|
|Sugar (g)||11.0||Saturated Fat||4.0|
|Fibre (g)||11.0||Sodium (mg)||561|