Not only is this recipe easy, fast and healthy, this dish is great for keeping our gut bacteria happy. The ginger and feta is a new flavour combination that is a must try. To speed the cooking time up even more, use left over rice or quinoa.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil (e.g. grapeseed, canola, etc) divided
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup long grain brown rice or quinoa; 3 cups cooked
- 2 cups water or low sodium broth
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cans black beans (each can 14-15oz/~400mL/1-1/2 cups) rinsed and drained
- 1 cup low sodium broth or water
- 2 red or green jalapenos (green are milder), seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbsp coarsely chopped peeled ginger
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Adapted from Epicurious
- Heat half (1 Tbsp) of the oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add approximately 1/4 of the chopped onion. Stir occasionally, cooking until soft, around 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice or quinoa and add the 2 cups of water and season with salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook the rice until tender (40-50 minutes). Quinoa will only take 15-20 minutes.
- Once the rice is done, remove it from the heat and let it stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and fold in half of the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the remaining oil (1 Tbsp) in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add 2/3 of the remaining onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the coriander and cumin. Cook an additional minute.
- Add the beans and broth, season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring and coarsely mashing the beans occasionally until thickened (about 8-10 minutes).
- While beans are cooking, pulse jalapeno, garlic, ginger, lime zest, lime juice and remaining onion in a blender until a chunky sauce forms. Season with salt.
Serve beans over rice and top with the diced avocado, crumbled feta, remaining cilantro, salsa and lime wedges.
|Calories (kcal)||550||Protein (g)||19|
|Carbohydrates (g)||83||Fat (g)||19|
|Sugar (g)||4||Potassium (mg)||1066|
|Fibre (g)||18||Sodium (mg)||218|