This is a quick and delicious way to make an energizing breakfast wrap and start your morning with some healthy greens. Packed with protein and fibre, this combination provides healthy energy and good satiety to your morning routine. This recipe boasts eye and brain boosting nutrition from choline, lutein and zeaxanthin alongside healthy iron and calcium. Try adding in your own choices into the scramble, such as fresh herbs, lean meats, legumes, leftover veggies, or diced avocado. A healthy and quick choice – excellent for any meal of the day! This recipe easily doubles for larger servings!
Egg Lettuce Wraps
Makes 2 servings
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 6 to 8 romaine lettuce leaves (medium to large)
- ¼ cup shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 1 large whole egg
- 6 large egg whites
- ½ cup 1% milk
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup salsa
- Chop bell pepper and celery into small bite size pieces
- In a medium bowl, whisk together whole egg and egg whites. Add milk and whisk to blend well. Stir in shredded cheese. Stir in chopped onion, pepper and celery.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add blended egg mixture to pan. Stir mixture often, scraping sides and bottom of pan to prevent burning. Adjust heat as needed to medium. Scramble egg mixture by stirring to cook mixture evenly and thoroughly (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Remove cooked egg mixture from heat and transfer to a bowl. Stir salsa into scrambled egg mixture and combine evenly.
- In the centre of each lettuce leaf place 1/6 to 1/8 of egg mixture. Roll lettuce wrap and enjoy! Pair with a serving of fruit such as fresh sliced melon or an orange.
- Each serving is ½ of recipe or 3 to 4 lettuce wraps. Refrigerate any unused portions.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)
|Calories (kcal)||245||Protein (g)||24.0|
|Carbohydrates (g)||18.0||Fat (g)||10.0|
|Sugar (g)||6.0||Saturated Fat||3.0|
|Fibre (g)||9.0||Sodium (mg)||545|
|Iron (mg)||2.0||Calcium (mg)||240|