Many of us are used to working in offices with ergonomic set-ups. However, as most of us work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, we may not have access to standing desks or ergonomic office chairs. In fact, many of us have nowhere else to work besides our couch! Watch below as I explain couch ergonomics, so you can work from home and keep your body feeling happy and healthy.
To protect your lower back and pelvis
- Keep your hips as far back on your couch as you can
- Avoid placing your feet on a coffee table
- Place a pillow behind you to rest on, this shortens the seat of your couch so that your feet are closer to the ground
- Place a stack of books on the ground to place your feet on if you are unable to reach the ground
For your neck and shoulders
- Lift your laptop up on your lap with a book so that you are not looking down
- Keep your shoulders open
If you have any questions or are looking for additional guidance on how to make your home workspace more ergonomically friendly, your Copeman physiotherapist can help. Click here to learn more about our virtual physiotherapy consultations!