Both local broccoli and apples are available through September, as are hazelnuts. What better way to celebrate them than to combine them in a tasty side-dish!
BROCCOLI AND APPLE SALAD
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed or olive oil (or use a nutty oil such as local hazelnut oil, walnut oil, or flaxseed oil to lend some good flavour)
- 2 Tbsp liquid honey (sugar, agave, whatever sweetener you prefer)
- 1-2 Tbsp ground flaxseed (flaxmeal)
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 head of broccoli (1-¼ lb/ ½ kg/ 550g), chopped into florets
- 1-¼ cups (1/2 lb/ 225g) chopped firm, flavourful apples (such as Fuji, Pink Lady, Braeburn, Gala)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced and chopped Walla Walla or other sweet onion (or thinly slice any onion and soak in ice cold water for half an hour or more)
- ⅓ cup chopped nuts (e.g. local hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds) or sunflower seeds
Whisk together first 8 ingredients in a large bowl until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat. May be served immediately, but flavours meld better if left to stand an hour or more in the fridge before service. Makes 8 side portions.