If you love Asian food, you should try this nutritious (and calorie – conscious) salad. Use any one (or a combination) of the 6 recommended ancient grains.
- 1 cup cooked of any, or a combination of the following grains: quinoa, farro, spelt, barley, bulgur, amaranth, millet or buckwheat
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup snap peas, chopped
- ½ cup of peas
- ½ cup of bok choy, chopped
- 2 sprigs green onions, sliced
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup of shelled edamame
- 1 block of firm tofu, cubed
- ½ cup of pineapple chunks or 1/3 cup of craisins
- Sriracha hot sauce
1. To cook grains, use 2:1 ratio of water to grain. Once boiling, reduce to simmer until all liquids are absorbed (15-20 minutes).
2. Whisk dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Toss vegetables, grains, and optional ingredients as desired, in a large bowl.
4. Drizzle with dressing and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Adding the protein option makes the dish a complete meal!
- For even more veggies, serve on top of mixed greens.
|Calories (kcal)||246||Protein (g)||11.8|
|Carbohydrates (g)||30||Fat (g)||11.5|
|Fibre (g)||6.2||Sodium (mg)||147|