Imagine the aroma of fresh baked pancakes with sweet berry toppings.
They won’t only be delicious, they will also be healthy!
Our almond pancakes are made with extra fibre and good healthy fats from whole grains and almonds.
The recipes incorporate protein from cottage cheese and egg whites, which are low in fat, calories, sodium and cholesterol.
Tip: If you make small dollar pancakes, these treats can be used as snacks or taken on-the-go.
- 1 cup whole grain flour (or try a mix of soy flour and whole grain)
- ½ cup almonds, blended in a food processor or blender
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt 1 cup 0-1% cottage cheese, low sodium
- 4 egg whites or ½ cup egg white equivalents
- 1 cup skim milk
- Cooking spray
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg whites slowly, continually whisking.
- Add the milk 1/3 cup at a time. Until all dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the cottage cheese (blend in a food processor to make smooth). At this point you can add vanilla extract, cinnamon or other flavours to your liking. The consistency should be a smooth paste. If not add either milk or flour to achieve this.
- Spray a frying pan with a thin layer of cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Spoon ~1/4 – 1/3 cup of batter onto the pan. Cook both sides until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with fruit topping. See below.
CREAMY BLUEBERRY TOPPING
- 1 cup cottage cheese, low sodium
- ½ cup plain yogurt, 0% M.F.
- Vanilla Extract (or vanilla bean)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- Cream together the cottage cheese, yogurt, vanilla and maple syrup in a food processor or blender.
- Heat on medium-low heat; blueberries, maple syrup, lemon juice and cornstarch. Continue to heat and stir until sauce thickens and blueberries reduce.
- Top the pancakes with creamy sauce and then blueberry sauce.
- Enjoy while warm.